- About me
- Ratings & Reviews
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Arthroscopy of the foot and ankle
- Reconstruction of arthritic conditions
- Total ankle replacement
- Sports injuries of the foot and ankle
- Foot and ankle pain and injuries
- Stress fractures
- Deformity correction
- Tendon and ligament repairs
- Bunion correction
- Improvements in foot and ankle surgery
- Effect of lower extremity surgery on driving
- MD, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
- Fellowship, Foot & Ankle Surgery, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA
- Residency, General Surgery, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
- Residency, Orthopedic Surgery, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow, College of Surgeons of East Central & Southern Africa
- Member, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Member, Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society
- Member, Christian Medical and Dental Associations
- Certificate of Honor, The House of Peoples’ Representatives of the Federal Republic of Ethiopia, 2012
- Outstanding Service Award, Ethiopian Society for Orthopaedics and Traumatology, 2012
- Distinguished Alumni Award, The Hun School of Princeton, 2010
As a physician, my goal is to help patients improve the quality of their health and well-being. I am able to accomplish that by combining the best in technology and skills with compassionate care. Having spent seven years working in Africa, in addition to 12 years of private orthopaedic practice in the Philadelphia area and several years in Los Angeles, I have extensive experience interrelating with people from many backgrounds and with a diverse array of foot and ankle conditions.
My clinical practice is focused on foot and ankle. I am interested in treating common pathologies, such as bunions and hammertoes, but also the more complex conditions, such as total ankle replacement, arthroscopy, and complex foot and ankle reconstructions. In addition, foot and ankle conditions can frequently be treated without surgery, and I am a strong believer in maximizing non-operative treatment before turning to surgery.
Delayed presentation of a heteropagus (parasitic) twin: a case report of a 17-year-old patient. Gokcen EC, Wamisho BL JPOB, accepted for publication Feb 2015, JPOB-07-1517R1.
Adamantinoma of tibia in Ethiopia: the first bone transplant in Ethiopia. Hailu S, Gokcen E Ethiop Med J, 2012 Apr;50(2):185-92.
Patterns of osteolysis around total hip components inserted with cement. B Zicat, CA Engh, EC Gokcen JBJS, 77-A: No. 3, pp. 432-439.
Pelvic fracture mechanism of injury in vehicular trauma patients. Gokcen EC, Burgess AR, Siegel JH, Mason-Gonzalez S, Dischinger PC, Ho SM. Journal of Trauma 36(6): 789-796, June 1994.